Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I Am Nujod, Age 10 and Divorced


Normally this is not the type of book that appeals to me, but having had the book recommended by several people, I decided to give it a try. This book should be read by everyone! Nujood is a very brave and courageous girl, or should I say, woman. She was the first child bride to win a divorce in Yemen and this is her story. It is a horrifying tale which is repeated too frequently around the world, but very young girls are still being placed in arranged marriages. Upon their marriage all education stops, and as a result, approximately 70% of the women in Yemen are illiterate. Nujood has won her battle, but there are many who are not. Please read this book.



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for following! I'm now your newest follower! Happy Tuesday!

    Andrea
    http://365daysoflifebehindthelens.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your book review has intrigued me. I love to read so I may have to check this one out!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog...I am your newest follower. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to suggest this review to a friend. It's not my type of book but it is totally hers!
    I am your latest follower through FMBT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you posted this. Was looking for something powerful to read and this spoke me.

    ReplyDelete