Saturday, June 5, 2010

The House on Tradd Street

I decided to read Karen White's The House on Tradd Street for its local color and to see how a non-native would handle "my" Charleston. The story focuses on Melanie Middleton, a real estate agent, who inherits an historical house below Broad, two days after she meets its owner. The novel is a well-written mystery which I never quite figured out before the ending. I also kept waiting for a love story to develop, but it did not which was another surprise. She has an unusual sense of humor which I found refreshing. Take for example this excerpt from p.142-143:

Jack didn't break eye contact as the two men sized each other up, standing closer as if they were in a boxing ring, and excluding me completely. I wondered if this was how the female lion felt during mating season -- unwanted and superfluous until the battle was won and it was time to get down to business. Although comparing myself to a lion in heat was as humiliating as it was accurate,

Over all, I enjoyed her novel and will read more by this author. She has started a "Tradd Street" series with the next novel finished and the third to be published later this year. I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment